During this practice its vital that you give yourself 100% permission to let go and allow any feelings to surface. This is a great time to have a good cry (tears are full of cortisol) and to honour the journey of your cycle and your journey. When we cry, we release stress hormones and toxins, so once we have cried we able to return to our place of peace.
This is the perfect time to feel your womb, connect with it and know that anything that you feeling, your womb is feeling it too. Find a connection to the self during this time, even if you feel sad your period has arrived. It’s so important for us to connect to our womb and have a strong relationship with it during this time. It is important emotionally, mentally and physically to release strong feelings, especially on egg donation journeys.
There are specific poses for each of the four phases of the menstrual cycle:
- Menstrual ( Fertility Sequence 3)
- Follicular ( Fertility Sequence 1)
- Ovulatory (Fertility Sequence 2)
- Luteal (Fertility Sequence 2)
Today, we are focusing on part two of the Follicular Phase (Fertility Sequence 1).
You will find the first few poses of this cycle in Part One which are:
- The Opening Meditation (Temple Meditation)
- Supported Child Pose
- Paschimottanasana / Seated Forward Bend With Acupressure Point L2 & 3
- Supported Upavistha Konasana / Seated Wide Angle
The following poses promote rest, healthy movement of blood out of the uterus, and emotional release and comfort.
Supta Virasana/Reclined Hero Pose:
- Allow any tension in your hips and groin to release.
- Feel the expansion and openness in your chest and upper thigh, allowing your heart to expand.
- This pose calms the nervous system and balances your nervous system; your immune and endocrine system.
- If you have any knee pain, avoid the reclining pose.
- Stack as many bolsters/pillows you have, behind your back to support you, so you can fully let go without holding on.
Variation: Lean back on pillows and stay here
Hold for 3-5 minutes
Reclined Supported Butterfly / Supta Baddha Konasana:
- Place one hand on your heart and one over your ovaries area. You can also add a blanket to cover this space.
- Continue to breathe warmth into your abdomen.
- This pose opens your hips release tension.
- It is said that we store all our emotions in our hips, so if you do notice anything that comes up, let it go with love.
Hold 3-10 Minutes
All Fours Circles:
- This is a great pose to use sound and breathe, groan or sigh as you rotate your hips (draw an imaginary circle with your entire body).
- Let any built-up tension, sadness or frustration melt away, feel the release.
- This pose lubricates your joints.
- It also releases tightness in your lower back and pelvis and increase that ever important circulation for blood and energy in your reproductive organs.
Repeat 5-6 Rounds or as many as you feel you need
Karani / Legs Up The Wall:
- This pose is helpful for relieving menstrual cramps, balancing your hormones and calming your emotions.
- It soothes your nervous system and brings an overall sense of revitalisation to your body.
- In this pose, you can let go of any residual emotion that is lingering before you begin your relaxation.
- Trust your body and your journey.
- Come back to the image of love pouring from your heart, to your womb area, with warmth and light.
Hold 3 – 10 Minutes
- This pose allows you to wring out any tension from your hips and lower back, so that you can create more space in your heart, for trust and expansion.
- Twists are wonderful for detoxifying and rejuvenating your internal organs.
- Breathe deeply into your belly and share one word of appreciation with your womb and each ovary.
Hold for 3- 5 Minutes
Reclined Knee Circles:
- This pose massages into the sacrum and lower belly.
- It is the perfect relief from lower back pain, while it still warms and nourishes your reproductive organs.
- With each rotation invite your womb to relax.
Rotate 5-10 times each way
- Breathe softness and warmth into your womb space.
- Feel the breath you created within your body taking cognisance of what you are feeling emotionally. This is a time to look forward to all the possibilities that lie ahead for you over the next month of your journey.
- See your womb glowing, filled with heartfelt love and light.
- Know that you can come here anytime you need to, in order to feel supported by mother earth.
Be here for as long as you need
With Love, Light and blessings
Leigh Journey OM (and my little photobomber (one of the twins); my daughter, Neve)
Feel free to contact me any time on firstname.lastname@example.org, I would love to hear from you.